Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Hector and Mohan-A ghost story

Hector and Mohan were close friends, neighbours and even classmates before they completed their form 5 educations at King George V Secondary school in Seremban back in the late 60s. They even shared the same fate of being jobless as during those days, work opportunities did not come in handy; luck and human connections played more decisive role than one’s capability. They stayed around the outskirt of the Seremban municipality, along the old road leading to Port Dickson, at the Rasah Hill village in which the settlements were mainly Indians during those days. On one side of the Rasah Hill sited the Chinese cemetery; the Chinese people considered that location good ‘Feng Shui’ to bury the dead as the hundred years old cemetery at Lemons Street in town had been filled to the brink. Hector and Mohan were used to have the multitudes of graves as their neighbours as they were there since their childhood. Hector’s father worked at the KTM as assistant station master while Mohan’s parents were rubber plantation workers at Rahang Estate nearby. Hector was a Roman Catholic whereas Mohan was Hindu but they got along fine; once a while they mocked each other’s religious background harmlessly.

One night the two best friends were out to their favourite  Mamak stall for their usual teh tarik half a kilometer away at the fringe of their village. They were involved with cant talk and gossip as there were no serious issues to talk about. No sooner the day went deeper into the night; they realized that it was time for home to sleep. They hopped onto their bicycles and headed for home.

A short distance away they saw in the semi darkness in the faint light a fair-skinned, long haired Chinese lady appeared ahead of them. The moon-lit sky gave them some courage as they recognized the figure with long flowing night gown was their neighbour’s daughter, a twenty year old girl named ‘Ah Mey’. ‘What on earth does she have business here at this unholy hour?’ Hector yelled. ‘It’s near , let’s frighten her!’ Mohan suggested. He picked up speed and promptly realized that the lady had moved forward at a faster pace too. As Mohan overtook the shadowy figure he patted her shoulder and felt that his right hand landed on nothing. He turned and looked back, to his shock of his life what he saw he would never forget: The lady had no facial feature; it was just a pale patch of hollowness on the face giving a ghastly look and she had no legs too; she was floating as she moved!

The next instant Hector saw Mohan fell heavily on his butt from his bicycle as he lost his balance. Hector fell too while crashing into the apparition; he found it too late that he could not control his speed. The two young men ran with all their might towards Hector’s house which was nearer at a stone’s throw away. They hurriedly closed the door as they rushed in, in a mad frenzy, taking everybody at home by surprise. Still curiosity won them over; Hector and Mohan gathered enough guts and peeped through the small holes of the wooden house. They saw a shining streak of light flew gradually towards the slope of the Rasah Hill cemetery before it disappeared.

The next day both Hector and Mohan developed fever with high temperature. With prayers and some medicine taken they were alright within 3 days. Mohan’s bicycle was a twisted wreck as it hit a rock when he fell; Hector was cursing as someone had stolen his bicycle which was of better condition, and that delayed his date with PWD (JKR) for an interview. Eventually Hector got the job as a machine hand with the PWD,Temiang Road, Seremban Town. He worked for PWD (later renamed JKR) until his retirement in early 2000. Mohan eventually became a lawyer and was known to be stationed in Kuala Lumpur.

A true story by

Alan CY Kok

No comments:

Post a comment