Friday, 7 March 2014

During the 1950s in the USA

In 1955.............

Did you hear that the Post Office was thinking
of charging  7 cents  just to post a letter?
 They were thinking of raising the minimum wage to $1.00 per hour.
Then nobody will be willing to hire outside help at the store.
Who would have thought gas would cost 25cts a gallon?
It would be better off  leaving the car in the garage.
Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract
for $50,000 a year just to play balls?  It wouldn't surprise
 me someday they'll be making more than the president.
I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric,
They're even making electric type-writers now.
It's too bad things are so tough nowadays.
I see where a few married women are having
 to work to make both ends meet. 
It won't be long young couples are going to hire
 someone to watch their kids so
both of them can work.
I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the
door to a whole lot of foreign business.
Thank goodness I won't to see the day when the government
takes half our income in taxes. I sometime wonder if we  
are electing the best people to our government.
The fast food restaurant is convenient for a quick meal,
but I seriously doubt it will catch on.
There is no sense going for a trip in the weekend.
It costs nearly $2.00 a night to stay in a motel.
No one can afford to be sick anymore.
At $15.00 a day in the hospital,
it's too rich for my blood.
If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a haircut, forget it! 
 
 Many thanks to Ron Lim for sharing.
Alan CY Kok           

No comments:

Post a Comment